When you´re using your mobile phone, tablet or computer in a public place, you want to make sure your internet activities are safe and cannot be hacked. A sure-fire way of doing this is by using a VPN.
What is a VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It works by masking your internet protocol – or IP – address so that anything you do online cannot be traced or hacked. It works by hiding your online activity, such as any website addresses, links that you click on or files you download.
Why you need a VPN
When you´re logging into a private WiFi network at home or work, you need to enter a password, which means your online activity is secure. However, if you’re not logging into a private WiFi network, any data can be vulnerable and picked up by other people using the same network.
Here are some examples of when to use a VPN and why:
- When you have logged into the free public WiFi at the airport, coffee shop, bar, restaurant or hotel, you could be hacked by someone on the same network. Using public WiFi to buy goods or services online, they could steal your bank details, passwords or usernames.
- If you shop online, you could find that prices change according to your location. When you use a VPN, you can get better deals from online shops or when booking accommodation or flights.
- A VPN is very handy for streaming. Many people are frustrated because they cannot get Netflix or Prime Video in Spain if their account is based in the UK or USA, for example. By using a VPN you can hide the fact your IP address in Spain and stream these services without any problem. You just connect to one of the VPN servers in the UK, USA or another country depending on which streaming service you want to connect to. If you have Netflix UK, connect to the VPN in the UK and start watching your favourite movies or series.
A VPN encrypts or scrambles any data you send or receive so no-one can snoop on what you’re doing. Identity thieves, hackers and other cyber-criminals can’t see your online activity or steal your personal information when you use a public WiFi.
What’s the best VPN in Spain to use?
Some VPN services are free while others give you a free trial, usually for 30 days, which is great if you just want your VPN for when you’re on holiday. However, many people are prepared to pay a few euros a month for a VPN service because of the benefits it provides and the peace of mind when you’re using your phone or laptop away from home.
Favourite VPNs in Spain are:
- Surfshark is a popular VPN, mainly due to its great connection speeds, and super-safe encryption. You can use an unlimited number of devices from one Surfshark account. The basic package allows you to encrypt your internet activity so no-one can steal your data, change your IP address to avoid tracking, and block ads and malware to protect yourself against cyber attacks.
- ExpressVPN is very similar in that it encrypts the information you receive and send online, and masks your IP address.
- CyberGhost VPN also hides your internet activity by encrypting your online traffic and hiding your IP address. Also, with just one subscription it can be used for up to seven devices.
- NordVPN has a speedy VPN connection to give you private and secure internet on the move. It also blocks malware, intrusive ads and malicious URLs.
If you want to know more about setting up a VPN or anything about mobile phones, the internet or home security, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help you.