(series 1 of3)
What is a Pop Up Shop?
If you hear either temporary retail, flash retailing, pop-up store or pop up shop it all means the same. Pop-up shops are taking over the retail world and rethinking traditional stores but here I want to explain exactly what is a shop that pops up?
They initially started back in the 1990s in large urban cities such as Tokyo, London, Los Angeles and New York City, pop-up shops and pop-up retail are temporary retail spaces that promote or sell merchandise of any kind. From art to fashion to tech gadgets and food, pop-ups are exciting because they create short-term stores that are just about as creative as they are engaging. And they come in all shapes and sizes.
The basic things to think about when setting up a Pop up Shop:
- Time period. Usually 1 day to 3 months
- Location. High foot traffic areas such as city centres, malls, and busy streets.
- Price. Much lower than a traditional store, typically paid upfront and outside the right business free.
- Aim. Sell products, presence during holidays or events, launch new products, generate awareness, test idea or location, makes your company move with the times.
Types of Pop up Shops:
Benefits from a Pop up Shop:
- A Pop up Shop allows you to personally get to know your customers and build stronger relationships.
- They also give you the opportunity to sell more, giving you a different retail channel. About 95% of all purchases are still completed offline.
- Brand awareness, if the marketing is done right it creates a lot of excitement and interest in the specific area you are going to beforehand. On the first couple of days there usually are a lot of people just wanting to see what it´s all about, giving you the opportunity to talk to them.
- It is cheaper than opening up a normal retail store and you don´t have to sign a contract for a long period of time.
- They allow you to test new areas and market and launch new products.
Who can set up a Pop up Shop?
Everyone can, big or small. As you can see top brand Companies like Adidas even feel like they can benefit from this type of promotion so they have done it but at the same time local artists, fashion designers etc… have also done it. Even mobile trucks for food have done it. Anyone wanting to promote a business or sell a new product can give it a try!
Where can you set up a Pop up Shop?
Anywhere you can get permission, be it outside someones shop, in a square in the middle of town, on the side of a road or even on the beach.
Just make sure you do research in the area to make sure you have a license to be there or permission from the store holder or else you could be moved on and that would be a complete disaster!
Keep an eye out for our next blog on our personal experience on setting up the Telitec Pop up Shops